Client: Electricity North West Limited
Architect: JAB Design Services Limited
Contractor: J&C Devlin Limited
Type: Process Building Refurbishment and Extension
IQS had a mixed role during this project combining the skill sets of our quantity surveyors and clerks of work.
These works comprised the extension of an existing oil reprocessing works and improvement of existing accommodation, laboratory and processing facilities.
IQS was involved in the early feasibility stage of the schemes comprising numerous cost plans and optional arrangements. The work was packaged and documentation produced for competitive tenders on numerous aspects of the project tailored to meet the client’s requirements.
Following the award of the main civils contractor, construction works were undertaken whilst procurement continued on the mechanical and electrical processing aspects of the job. The contractor was monitored on site by IQS clerk of works with commercial control by IQS quantity surveyors.
The facility was to remain in operation during the course of the works which included full access for 30,000 litre oil tankers.
The site was located at the centre of the client’s operational depot within a one-way traffic system. All construction activities required close liaison with the depot management. Weekly co-ordination meetings were organised by IQS clerk of works with all relevant parties.
Generally the works comprised of the following:
- Provision of temporary office and welfare facilities for duration of works.
- Refurbishment of existing 590,000 litre tank farm.
- Re-roofing the existing facility building.
- Piled extension to west wing of the building to accommodate mobile process equipment.
- Piled extension to east wing of building to accommodate new laboratory building and plant room.
- Internal finishes and decoration.
- General building improvements and refurbishment including remodelling internal accommodation and welfare facilities.
- Installation of new aluminium powder coated door and windows.
- Installation of new aluminium powder coated sectional doors and roller shutter doors to plant entrances.
- Construction and fit-out of new laboratory area including fume cupboards and oil sinks.
- Installation of incoming 800A and 400A sub-main to electrical switchgear.
- Installation of security system interconnected within overall depot system.
- Refurbishment and remodelling of facility control room.
- General repairs to road surfaces and paving to building perimeter including tertiary oil bunds.
- Relocation of existing laboratory to new location.
- Procurement of new mobile oil regeneration plant and equipment.
- Refurbishment of existing oil regeneration plant and equipment.
- Procurement and installation of new oil centrifuge equipment into existing operational process system.