When Storm Desmond hit the UK in December 2015 record levels of rainfall caused flooding which submerged the substation at Lancaster resulting in 61,000 homes to lose power.
Reactive flood defence works began to protect the site from the risks posed by a flooding.
- Installation of cameras to monitor site areas
- application of a spray-on flood tanking system
- Blocking up openings and sealing cable ducts internally and externally
- Replacing existing doors with flood-resistant doors
- Installation of additional pumps
- equipment re-location which includes raising the transformers 2.1 metres above the lowest point of the site.